From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Bad Kissingen (until 1973 Hammelburg)
Additions: 1971 Pfaffenhausen, Westheim; 1972 Bonnland, Diebach, Feuerthal, Morlesau, Obererthal, Obereschenbach (1970 Untereschenbach), Untererthal; 1978 Gauaschach

Wappen von Hammelburg/Arms (crest) of Hammelburg
Official blazon

Gespalten von Silber und Rot; vorne ein schwebendes schwarzes Tatzenkreuz, hinten auf grünem Dreiberg drei silberne natürliche Lilien in nach links abfallender Höhe.

English blazon wanted


The arms were granted on June 8, 1955.

Hammelburg was a city ruled by the Bishops of Fulda. The oldest seals of the city, which date from 1283-1360 thus show St. Bonifacius on a throne. St. Bonifacius is the patron saint of Fulda. In the 15th century two small shields were added with the cross of Fulda and a canting castle on a mountain. At the same time the arms developed separate from the seals. The arms also show the cross of Fulda, but instead of a castle, the lilies of St. Simplicius were added. The latter is the second patron saint of Fulda and the city.

Seal of Hammelburg

Seal from around 1900
Wappen von Hammelburg/Coat of arms (crest) of Hammelburg

Local emergency money from 1918
Wappen von Hammelburg/Coat of arms (crest) of Hammelburg

The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Wappen von Hammelburg/Coat of arms (crest) of Hammelburg

The arms in the Deutsches Wappenmuseum

This page is part of the
German heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

German heraldry:

Selected collector's items from Germany:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s