|In Rot ein gesenkter goldener Anker.
Ludwigshafen was founded in 1853 and received city rank in 1859. The new city used a seal with an anchor as a symbol for the sailing on the river Rhine. On the seals the lion of the Pfalz acted as a supporter. These arms were officially granted on June 28, 1853 and were identical to the present arms.
In 1895 the arms on the seal were quartered to add symbols for Friesenheim. The first quarter showed the diamonds of Bayern, as the town was founded by King Ludwig of Bayern and the Pfalz. The anchor appears in the second and third quarter, the fourth shows a silver spade (for Friesenheim). The arms were officially granted on May 19, 1895.
Seal from around 1890
The arms from 1895-1900
After the merger with Mundenheim new arms were granted on July 7, 1900. The anchor in the third quarter was replaced by the spade and the key of Mundenheim was added in the fourth quarter.
The full arms from 1900-1937
Seal from around 1910
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The present arms, which are identical to the arms of 1853 were granted on September 14, 1937.
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site