Country : Germany
State : Baden-Württemberg
District (Kreis) : Rastatt
|In geteiltem Schild vorne in Gold ein roter Schrägbalken, hinten in Rot ein goldene Weinleiter (Raste).
The arms are canting, a Raste is a device used by grape-farmers to carry materials.
The village was founded in the 13th century by the Counts of Calw-Eberstein, became a Markt in 1404 and a city in 1700. The oldest seal of the town dates from the early 16th century and shows a shield parted of the arms of Baden and the Raste as a canting symbol. This combination was used until around 1820 when the Baden part disappeared on the seals.
The arms were officially adopted in 1898, nevertheless were the arms with the combination of Baden and the raste still used until the 1930s. After WWII the 1898 arms remained in use, but in 1995 the city returned to the old combined Baden-raste arms.
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (+/- 1910)
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms in the Emmerlinge Series +/- 1910
The arms in an album from around 1910
The arms in an album from around 1950
The arms in an album from 1968
Literature: Stadler, K., 1964-1971; Zier and Futterer, 1966; John et al. ,1990.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site