DUCHY OF SACHSEN-COBURG-GOTHA
The Duchy of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha was created in 1826 when the old dynasty of Sachsen-Gotha became extinct. One of the four newly formed duchies was Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha, all ruled by different branches of the Wettin dynasty. The duchy was split in two separate parts, which were also geographically separated; the area around Gotha and the area around Coburg. After the revolution in 1918 the northern part of the duchy around Gotha became part of the new state of Thüringen, the area around Coburg became part of Bayern.
The arms shown below are the small arms of the duchy:
The arms show in the first quarter the striped lion of Thüringen. Thüringen was ruled by the Dukes of Thüringen-Hessen until 1247 and since it has been part of Sachsen and most rulers over (parts of) Sachsen from the Wettin dynasty used the striped lion in their arms.
The second quarter shows the lion of the County Meissen, also one of the original possessions of the Wettin dynasty.
The third quarter shows the arms of the County of Hennenberg. The County Hennenberg is also one of the oldest possessions of the Wettin dynasty.
The fourth quarter shows the lion of Gotha.
The escutcheon shows the arms of Sachsen proper.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : Information provided by Kees Kooij (<firstname.lastname@example.org>)