Country : Germany
State : Rheinland-Pfalz
District (Kreis) : Urban district (Kreisfreie Stadt)
|In Silber ein rotes Kirchengebäude mit drei blaubedachten und mit goldenen Kreuzen besteckten Türmen und drei offenen Toren.
The arms were granted in 1845 by King Ludwig of Bayern. The arms show the stylised Western part of the local cathedral, in which are the graves of four medieval German Emperors (Konrad II., Heinrich Heinrich III., Heinrich IV., Heinrich V.) and of four medieval German Kings (Philipp von Schwaben, Rudolf von Habsburg, Adolf von Nassau, Albrecht von Österreich).
The oldest seal of the city dates from the early 13th century and shows the Northern part of the cathedral. The cathedral was used on seals only until 1263, but remained on the arms of the city. The seals showed until 1800 a gate with the image of the St. Mary with child.
The cathedral can be seen in the arms of the city in a roll of arms from 1398, a relief from 1469 and many images from later centuries. As there was no consistency in the images, it was decided in 1845 to use the Western façade of the cathedral in the arms. The colours are known since the 16th century.
Speyer was the capital city of the independent Diocese of Speyer. The diocese used as arms a silver cross in blue, which can be seen in many arms of villages and towns that historically belonged to the State of Speyer. The State was dissolved as an independent country in 1803. Examples of village arms with the cross are: Arzheim, Bruchsal, Deidesheim, Elchesheim, Friedelhausen, Hilpertsau, Hochspeyer, Philippsburg, Rauenberg and others.
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
The arms in the Wapen- en Vlaggenboek van Gerrit Hesman (1708)
The arms in the Abadie albums
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes. Main image by Massimo Ghirardi
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site