State : Rheinland-Pfalz
Urban District (Kreisfreie Stadt) : Trier
Additions : 1888 St. Paulin, Maar, Zurlauben, Löwenbrücken, St. Barbara; 1912 Heiligkreuz, St. Matthias, St. Medard, Feyen; 1930 Euren, Biewer, Pallien, Kürenz, Olewig; 1969 Ehrang-Pfalzel (1968 Ehrang, Pfalzel), Eitelsbach, Filsch, Irsch, Kernscheid, Ruwer, Tarforst, Zewen
|German||In Rot der stehende, nimbierte und golden gekleidete St. Petrus mit einem aufrechten, abgewendeten goldenen Schlüssel in der Rechten und einem roten Buch in der Linken.|
Trier was already an important city in the Roman times and the seat of a bishop in the early Middle Ages. The patron saint of the city is St. Peter. The oldest known seal of Trier dates from 1113 shows a city wall with a gate. In the gate the figure of Christ is placed between St. Peter and St. Eucharius. In the 14th century only St. Peter is used on the seals. All later seals show only St. Peter in different positions.
The seal from the 12th century
The arms of the city, on the other hand, only showed a red cross on a white field, the arms of the State of Trier. To the arms two lions were added as supporters in 1337. Only in the last century the arms were replaced by the figure of St. Peter taken from the seals. The cross of the State of Trier are widely used, see also the arms of Rheinland-Pfalz.
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms in an album from around 1910
The arms on a matchbox label
The arms in an album, 1950s
The arms in an album from 1968
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site