The arms were officially granted on ??
The arms show a silver cross, which is the symbol for the pilgrims who travelled from Köln to Kevelaer and who built in 1686 the first church in Veert. The medlar flower in the escutcheon is the oldest symbols of the Counts of Geldern.
The local court in Veert was already in the early 14th century a possession of Geldern. The judges of Geldern also presided in Veert.
The oldest seal of the court and village of Veert dates from 1449 and shows a divided shield with in the upper part the lion of Geldern and in the lower part two crossed crosiers.
A second seal of Veert dating from 1632 shows a completely different image. It only shows the image of the patron saint, St. Martin sitting on a horse and cutting his mantle for a next to him standing beggar.
The seal of Veert from 1449
The seal of Veert from 1632
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Nagel, R. : Rheinisches Wappenbuch, Köln, 1986; Frankewitz, S. en G. Fenner : De zegels der steden en dorpen in het overkwartier van Gelre/Die Siegel der Städte und Dörfer im geldrischen Oberquartier. Venlo, z.j. 291 blz.(bilingual)