Country : Germany
State : Hessen
District (Kreis) : Free urban district (Kreisfreie Stadt)
Boroughs (never separate municpalities) :
|In Blau drei, zwei zu eins gestellte goldene Lilien.
The arms of Wiesbaden are identical to the former French Royal arms, and it has been stated that the arms were granted by Charlemagne, or that the arms were used as a symbol for Charlemagne, the alleged founder of the city. However, this is not likely, as in the time of Charlemagne there were no heraldic arms, and he never used fleur-de-lis (lilies) as his symbol.
Wiesbaden was an imperial city until 1250, when it became a possession of the Counts of Nassau. The oldest known seals date from the early 14th century and show the lion of Nassau. Around 1350 three roses were added, probably to distinguish the arms from similar arms in the County of Nassau. In the early 16th century the roses were replaced by the three lilies. Later that century the lion was removed, at first in images and on buildings. later also in the seals of the city.
In 1898 the city officially adopted the arms with the lion, based on the old seals, but these arms were already replaced in 1906 by the present, and more historically correct, arms.
The arms in the Continentale Verlags-Anstalt album, +/- 1910
The arms in an album from around 1910
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms on a stamp
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site