WUNSIEDEL IM FICHTELGEBIRGE (WUN)
The arms were granted on July 26, 1974.
The new arms combine the Zollern arms from the previous arms, now in the chief, with symbols for the two former urban districts of Selb and Martkredwitz. The eagle is taken from the arms of the city of Marktredwitz, whereas the deer is derived from the arms of the city of Selb.
The previous arms were granted on September 5, 1961.
The base of the old arms shows the old arms of the Counts of Nürnberg and Bayreuth from the Zollern dynasty, and its successors, that ruled the area from 1285-1791. The upper part symbolises one of the typical rock formations in the Fichtelgebirge mountain range. The colours of the upper part are taken from the arms of the Counts of Andechs-Meranien, who ruled the area prior to 1248.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Stadler, K., 1964-1971; Stadler, 1990