Country : Germany
State : Brandenburg
District (Kreis) : Free urban district (Kreisfreie Stadt)
The arms were officially granted in 2000.
The arms of Cottbus show a city wall with a small shield with a crawfish. The latter is the arms of the medieval Lords of Cottbus, who ruled the city from 1199-1445. The combination already appeared on the oldest seal of the city, dating from the early 14th century.
The historical colours are the colours of Brandenburg (silver and red), but during DDR times different colour schemes have been used.
The arms in an album from around 1905
The arms in the Continentale Verlags-Anstalt album, +/- 1910
The arms in an album from around 1910
The arms in the Kurmark Wappenschau album from 1929
The arms in an album from around 1950
The arms in the Abdulla album, 1928
The arms in the Abadie albums
Literature: Bensing et al, 1984, and local newspaper clipping, 1997.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site